Grand Junction, Colorado
Joseph Fichter was commissioned to create six larger than life (1.5 life-size) horse sculptures in steel. These wild horses are a “main feature” as people enter the city from Interstate 70. The sculptures are installed in the two roundabouts drivers enter as they exit the highway or travel from the airport into the city. This commission started with 120 equine sculptors responding to an international ‘Call for Artists’. It was managed by the Horizon Drive District, a business improvement organization, partnered with the city of Grand Junction and the Colorado Department of Transportation. For more of the story, read the article “Putney’s Fichter horse sculptures headed west” by Carolyn Olivier featured in The Brattleboro Reformer, July 2016.
Grand Junction Horses Before Leaving Vermont:
Grand Junction Horses Installed:
The ‘Stallions’ Roundabout:
The ‘Running Horses’ Roundabout:
Prior Year Commissions
Life-size Equine Sculptures in Steel. Public Sites and Private Residences in:
Miami Beach, FL; Woodside, CA; Napa, CA; La Canada Flintridge, CA; Hamel, MN; Chestnut Hill, MA; Martha’s Vineyard, MA; Weston, MA; Unionville, PA; Coatesville, PA; Lyme, NH; Hanover, NH; North Chittenden, VT; Charlotte, VT; Montpelier, VT; North Pomfret, VT; Stratton, VT; Putney, VT; Norwich, VT; Dummerston, VT; Greensboro, VT; Woodstock, VT; E. Shoreham, VT; Darien, CT.
1981 – 1998
- 1998 – Outdoor marble sculpture. Vermont State Police Barracks, Williston, VT. Commissioned through the Vermont Arts Council and Vermont Art in State Buildings Program.
- 1997 – Persian Travertine Stone Sculpture, Private Residence, Boston, MA
- 1996 – Mahogany Sculpture, Vermont Pretzel Company. Saxtons River, VT
- 1994 – Marble and Granite Sculpture, Private Residence, Chicago, IL
- 1994 – Outdoor Granite Sculpture, Private Residence, Hanover, NH
- 1993 – Roman Travertine Stone Sculpture, Private Residence, Los Angeles, CA
- 1992 – Outdoor Installation, Pietrasanta, Italy
- 1992 – Outdoor Marble Sculpture, Private Residence, Scotland, CT
- 1990 – Metal Sculpture, Hangley, Connolly and Epstein Attorneys, Philadelphia, PA
- 1988 – Wood and Metal Sculpture, Sierndorf Castle, Sierndorf, Austria
- 1982 – Wood Sculpture, Life-Size Christ Figure, Saint Michael’s Catholic Church, Brattleboro, VT
- 1981 – Plaster Sculptures, 14 Stations of the Cross, Saint Michael’s Catholic Church, Brattleboro, VT